Do’s & Don’ts of List Building
1. Provide the audience with lots of opt-ins: – Just because e-mail marketing is permission based, its not like that you cannot go creative in your list building techniques. Do try that it is easy for your subscribers to find the link on your home page or the other web pages. Your opt-in form should be short and precise. Also use a double opt-in list so that it will ensure that your customers really want to receive your mail.
2. Use segmented e-mail list: – Its necessary that you reach out your targeted customers. Using demographics, customers likes and dislikes the mailing list can be divided. This will help you in targeting customers according to their interests. Always try to communicate in a manner that appeals them. Your existing opt-in list is the best source to expand your upcoming opt-in list.
3. Consider the 4C’s: – The matter you write should be Clear, Concise, Compelling and Customer-centric. The audiences are not interested in listening to your sales pitch. They need to save time, money and effort. Your content should be short and attractive enough to convince them to sign-up and also it must be useful and beneficial so that they are ready for more.
4. Connect via other Channels: – Use all other social-media to connect with the audience. It is the fastest and easiest way to build-up your list. For e.g., using LinkedIn you can allow your connections to post their own links to opt-ins. Sharing your mails in the social world can be favorable.
5. Keep your list private and clean: – Your list should be free of abusive content. You should not send something that would loose your customers trust. Also never send spam mails. It implies that you should not share your list with ones who will spam your list and send trash to the clients. Your customers will become angry and and will opt to unsubscribe.
1. Do not rent or purchase e-mail list: – As a responsible internet marketer you should not do this ever. To you it may seem as a time saving task but will decrease your status. Also it may happen that people wont even open your mail. Always build your relationship from the start. Your audience should always be aware of what they are getting into.
2. Don’t forget to create a separate landing page: – a successful e-mail list building process requires a well-organized strategy. In this creating a separate landing page is one of the important task. A separate landing page should be dedicated to your Opt-in form. Promote your free product or provide with some discount offer that will benefit your customers.
3. Don’t lose patience: – List Building and management can be a time consuming task initially. But, losing patience can prove to be a bad sign for you. Once you are into this process, you will surely come up with higher opening rates and remarkable responses. With all this you will enter into healthier and a successful marketing campaign.
4. Don’t kick off the replies: – Communication is a two-way process. So never send mails using firstname.lastname@example.org etc. It doesn’t leaves a positive impact on the customers when they open their mails and especially when you are not a very renowned organization. Always be friendly and send mails with your company name.
5. Don’t share irrelevant information: – The customers are not interested in reading what they dislike. Never show the information which is full of non-purpose ads or which is irrelevant to them. Only send the useful content to which is valuable to them so that they get attracted.